Thursday, May 20, 2010

Watercolors as a medium and loving painting


Everyone who knows me knows I love art, but few people realize how much I have wanted to learn watercolors. Well, a few months ago I ventured into an all-day workshop an artist friend of mine was running. Of course, it was the second in a series, so I was a little lost, but I caught on and finished my first stilllife painting at home. 

It was an intense experience, but I decided that it was possible for me to learn how to paint. This was my first experiment and I had no idea how to do a tablecloth and worried about perspective. I worked harder on it and eventually fixed the plate, but I hated the color and thought I might paint it again.

It somehow ended up in the sink (not mine), which was a little sad, but fortunately I had taken a picture, so I didn't really care. It was my first watercolor but it won't be my last. Oh, forgive me, as I haven't framed anything yet, so some of these shots still have my masking tape, ragged edges, etc.

Well, then I did another painting of my granddaughter at her ballet class.  I learned that you cannot use a watercolor pencil on wet watercolor paper and expect a good result. 

As a matter of fact, although I still have the painting on my wall, it will probably become part of my draw of shame one day.  As you can see I could not get the flesh to look right on the chins of both little girls.  I was happy with the bodies and the hair, but definitely I needed help on the faces.  The girls are standing in front of a mirror, talking, and they were so, so cute in real life. 

Well then I did some other paintings, none of which are particularly great, but I liked them anyway.  This was my baby grandson - who is much cuter than I could paint, but I tried.

I also cut a painting in half, as I didn't like one side and that one came out pretty good.  I had really worked hard on the background and when the focal point of the painting - a clown fish - looked... well... stupid, I got frustrated and decided to retrieve what I could. 

This picture sort of grew on me, as I liked seeing the fish looking rather geeky - fish are not what you would call handsome - at the worms. They have personality I think, although nobody has offered to buy this painting, I'm rather glad.


So then I took another workshop and learned how to do something I didn't think was possible.  Paint a picture that even my husband likes.  I gave it to him for Father's Day, although it isn't Father's Day yet and he's not my father - although he often acts like he is when he's in a mood.  Just the same, he liked it or claimed he did, which made me feel very happy.
 I love orchids, and this one I thought was such a pretty subject.


Today I am working on another protrait of my granddaughter.  I think she looks quite lovely, although I haven't finished the painting yet or decided on a background. I like it anyway, and hope I don't ruin it by trying to finish it, but that's how it is. 

I'm happy with the eyes, they look rather luminous, exactly like hers and her mom's. The skin tone is perfect too, she has this gorgeous skin, seemingly without any pores (like her father's).  I'll add detail, of course and highlighting, but I like the hat and I think I have captured her 'essence' here.  At least an expression I see on her face sometimes.  She's a dreamer like I used to be.  The artist in her, I am sure.  Both her parents are artists and she is so talented already. Anyway, she was wearing my gardening hat and wasn't really inclined to give it back that day.:)

Watercolors are wonderful, but they are pretty risky. Still, how I love to paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment