Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pedal For a Free Dinner in Copenhagen? Wow!

The Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers is doing something so cool I have to write about it, even though I do not know a soul visiting Copenhagen this year. Not that it isn't a wonderful place, but my friends have been visiting Latin America lately or French Canada. So here it is.

According to CNET News:

Two stationary bicycles are hooked up to generators, with an iPhone attached to the handlebar to display the wattage. Guests willing to sweat it out to deliver 10 watt hours of power score a meal worth about 240 Danish crowns (US$44) in the hotel's restaurant or lobby bar. Not half bad for doing your part for the environment.

The "Cycle for Your Supper" program, which kicked off Monday for hotel guests only, will run for a year, and word is that if it's successful, we could see the eco initiative rolled out across the U.K. and possibly even internationally.

Here's the full link to the story if you are interested: http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20002995-54.html?tag=nl.e797

Honestly, if I could convince myself that I would be doing the world good - and not just sweating for my own health and well-being - I might use my stationery bike a lot more. Naw... only when my feet hurt or its pouring rain outside. Still, I wish it was hooked up to a generator, just because it is so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment