Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Is Obama Brilliant or Grasping for Straws?

President Obama is in a fix these days. The truth is he doesn't have to run for re-election if he doesn't want to run, but I think he is a man with purpose. For the last few years now I have come to accept that he is a rational man as well. Oh, I imagine he and Michelle light it up once in a while with a few FU's here and there - they are both strong personalities - but he is one of those intellectual jocks who are essentially unflappable. They don't get frustrated, they get determined.

But I get frustrated. I could never possibly have the kind of self-control he does. I was probably self-employed way too long. I generally think I have a better way to do things - I am incredibly efficient in fact - and I hate people to waste my time. Even if they are paying for it. So I can guarantee that I will not enter politics as I do not have the right nature.

Still to listen to Obama attempt to show that he will consider any good idea - regardless of the source? I have to believe it is a slick strategy. He is showing the American people that he is open to ideas, but will not accept rhetoric also spelled this way: b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t. Actually he is coming after the Republicans in a way, but he is doing it like as a gentleman with his gloves on his lap... for now.

This is either a brilliant strategy or it isn't. We'll have to wait and see how the American people deal with his out-there, talking to the crowd persona. He is a great man, that's obvious, but the republicans are determined to obstruct any kind of actual governing while he is in office. It is amazing he has accomplished so much already - stem cell research is back, gays may soon be able to serve openly in the military and so many other things. Still health care and no jobs and the housing market - all inherited from Bush - weigh his administration down terribly.

Well, that's about all I thought about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment